Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Αφροδίτη


This is my concept of beauty. This is an ancient statue of the Greek goddess Aphrodite, of love and beauty. I saw on the internet that someone called this statue "overweight" and "too wide," and I was absolutely horrified as to what society is teaching us. The ancient Greeks, some of the smartest people of their age, fit Aphrodite into this size in their statues and paintings. She was the goddess of BEAUTY for heaven's sake.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, society is teaching us nowadays that we all have to be smaller than this. This Aphrodite is gorgeous. Anyone naturally smaller or bigger than this is gorgeous. I hate that we all feel as if we have to be smaller than we are (and when I say "we all" I mean everyone who feels pressured too, I'm not fitting everyone inside a box) because that's what some people's idea of beauty is.
I feel encouraged when I see this statue because it means that everyone is different and we should be proud that we're not all like this, and we're not all twigs, and we're not all bigger than this, or whichever. I feel encouraged when I see this statue, because it's beauty. I'm determined to someday go to Greece and see this statue of Aphrodite for myself, to see this statue of beauty and feel proud for the women of the world. Heck, why not be proud for the men too?

No comments:

Post a Comment